.

.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Elder Cook Week Seven



Buenas Familia!

This week has flown by.  I feel like I was just here!  The work has been amazing!  The spanish autocorrect says I've spelled every word wrong so far.  I ate my first maronion this week!  Look it up.  Easily the weirdest thing I´ve eaten.  It looks like a pepper but    it´s actually a fruit.  The juices dry out your whole mouth instantly, your tongue, teeth, everything!  tastes like an old carrot.  I am obsessed with the mangoes up here.  Every Elder is.  I love Honduran food!  The miembros feed us every almuerzo y cena and are amazing cooks!  A normal meal consists of montequilla, an egg, beans, and fried platanos, and always has tortillas de maiz.  You have to use tortillas at the end of each meal to wipe your plate to be polite and say it was good. 

We have had un bastante de exitos con encontrando familias.  Our mision has been really focusing on finding familias, and we have found una familia nueva almost every day for the past week!  We are up to 10 familias y around 20 investigadores nuevos.  Since we started at 0 we are pretty stoked!  We´ve worked our hardest and el Senior has blessed us because of it.  I have taught several lessons now and placed two LDM!  I don´t know if they did this before, but it only counts as being placed if you give it out during a lesson.  There is no way that we could teach sin El Espiritu.  My espanol is terrible, but I can see the words I say change people in the instant that I say them, and I know it´s el espiritu santos that´s doing all the teaching.  Last night we visited a referencia and it was a familia.  Only the abuela was home so we, mi companero y un miembro, chatted with her for a while and then la hija got home.  She seemed pretty weirded out that so many men were her casa talking to her mom, but we talked and found out she is an english teacher.  Mi companero said i had to take all the talking from then on, so I shared a short message about familias y jesucristo.  She seemed uninterested but after I said it, she asked me in english what i missed most about home, like family or friends.  I said I missed my family, but it´s worth it because I know the church is true.  In that instant I saw her change.  the spirit changed her.  You could see the love of God in her eyes. she invited us back again.  I could've said more and I could've said less, but that's exactly what the spirit told me to say and that's what she needed to hear.  This gospel is so true!  Its amazing what the Espiritu can do for people.  The spirit is the real teacher, and it teaches with a language that everyone understands. I love this work!  And like hunter cook emailed me, it´s missionary fun, not work and I feel like I   can´t get enough of it!  Just remember that when things get tough, the church is true.  That´s all that matters.

Con todo de la amor de mi corazon,
Elder Cook