.

.

Monday, January 6, 2014

Elder Cook Week Forty-Three

This little guy was vicious looking! 
He watched me while I ate him!
We had to eat the whole thing, bones and all.
Hey family

We had an awesome week!  With the hardest night of my life.  Thursday, we walked around for about 7 hours straight trying to find someone to teach.  We finally found G again after almost a month. Every time that we´ve passed by her son always comes to the door and says she´s eating, or busy, or tired so we never got a chance to talk to her.  She came to the window, only because my companion called out to her before she escaped to her room, and told us she didn´t want anything to do with the church anymore.  She said she had too much work and was too tired, and just wanted to go back to her old church.  I tried to talk, but she just looked into my eyes and said not to make this hard.  I opened my mouth again, and she just said please.  So as a last effort, I asked her if she believed in everything we taught her.  She said yes, without any doubts.  But told us not to come back anymore. I don´t know if I´ve ever been sadder in my life than that night!  This was the hermana that had a baptism date, and told us to make invitations so that she could hand them out to her friends!  She gave us references without us asking!  She asked us if she could give a prayer in sacrament meeting and have a calling!  I honestly felt like she was family.  Satan is real and has power.  I know that for a fact.  But it´s also good to remember that he only has power to the extent that we let him.   Someday I know she will get baptized.  I don´t know what happened in those couple of weeks that we weren´t with her, but someday she´ll come back.  Heavenly Father has a plan for everyone and I guess this just isn´t her time.  

Church was nuts!  Q came this Sunday!!  I wouldn´t have been more surprised to see a chicken swallow a dog out in the street than seeing him walk in to sacrament on his own.  I didn´t want to make him mad so I didn´t ask him why he came back until the end of church.  He said something about God and that it was the right thing to do.  But right before he left, he demanded that his baptism would be this Saturday, that we needed to plan it all out and let him know the time beforehand.  We still have a long way to go with our friend Q.  

Then a stray dog came into sacrament meeting!  I lept up and chased him into the hallway.  Usually you can just yell at the strays and they´ll run, but he really wanted in to the sacrament meeting!  I got him outside and tried to corner him out.  That didn´t work so I yelled and nudged him, but he just kept running around me!  At this point all the other missionaries were gathered just watching and laughing.  At the risk of fleas I finally just picked him up and threw him out.  But he got back in before they shut the door and made a bolt for sacrament meeting again!  I picked him up and put him behind a fence of a nearby house, but then they had to open the gate for a car so he escaped and got in.  I got him again and ran down the block, left him there, then booked it for the gate, but he beat me there.  After a couple more attempts, we finally got him out because one of the sister missionaries started talking sweet to him.  I think he just got tired.  Man if we could put that kind of desire and persistence to get into church into our investigators, we´d have a whole lot more converts by now!

That story might not be too crazy to you but that was the highlight of my week.  Love you guys!

Elder Cook