.

.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Elder Cook Week Twenty-Eight


Familia Favorita

Yeah we knock on a ton of doors!  A good 20-40 every day.  We get up at 6:30, exercise for 30 minutes, get ready/eat for an hour, 8:00 we do personal studies, 9:00-11:00 companionship studies, 11:00-12:00 language study, eat lunch until 1:00 and head out to work!  5:00-6:00 we eat dinner, 9:00 we enter the house, plan for half an hour to an hour, write in our journals, then go to bed at 10:30. 

There are dogs and cats and chickens everywhere!  The chickens were weird to get used to at first, especially when you’re trying to teach and they’re crowing in your ear, but now I don’t notice them too much.  Yeah we’ve gotten pretty fast from the dogs.  Did I tell you about Tommy?  The self-proclaimed guard dog from the devil that chases us away from our investigators house?  Usually if the dogs get too close you can just throw a rock near them and they’ll back off, but this one steps closer!  The Hondurans around there just laugh as we run. 

There are a bunch of outdoor markets but most of them we’re not allowed to go into because people are killed there a lot.  Yeah there are a couple weird animals but mostly weird bugs.  There are red wasps that look like the ones from Jumanji and these ginormous helicopter sounding beetles that you can here coming from a good 15 feet away.  There are tons of geckos but the ones here make super annoying sounds all the time!  I’ll make the sound for you when I get back because I don’t know how to describe it.  I’m in the city so nothing too exciting yet.

So we were talking to an older lady a week or two ago about mosquitoes, (that’s always a good conversation starter here) and they never get bit by mosquitoes because they are Latino and they laugh and laugh because I always get bit because I’m a gringo.  Then she tells us that the real reason why I get bit is because when a mosquito enters a house it looks for the most handsome male in the house to bite, so you always know who is handsome based on the number of bites he has.  They all stopped laughing. And I almost died laughing.  Now every time I get bit by a mosquito I thank her for the compliment.

Did you know I dream about milk almost every night?  I reach into a fridge to pull out a cold jug of American milk and I always wake up before I can taste it or it doesn’t taste like anything.  I think one of my deepest baggy desires out here is to drink real milk.  I also teach a lesson in every dream and wake up freaking out that we are not in missionary clothes or that we’re late for a lesson.  I’ll wake up and say hey I taught lesson one! Then my companion says sweet I was teaching lesson two! It feels like I never go to sleep sometimes.

Our investigator from a few weeks ago, came back early yesterday!!!!!  We are going to set his baptism for the night before I leave.  Pray for him!

Love you guys!
Elder Cook 
Elder Cook took this picture of the banner one of his primary kids back home sent him.