.

.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Elder Cook


Hey family!  The MTC is amazing!!!!  I'll tell you how a normal day here goes.  We wake up at 6:30 and get to breakfast by 7, then we go to class where we have about an hour of personal study, then about four hours of learning Spanish.  Then we go to lunch, the gym, then go back to class for a couple hours before going to dinner.  We go back to class again to take turns to teach our investigator, followed by companero study and going back to our dorms. We have half an hour to get ready for bed and then time to write in our journals or read scriptures, and lastly we have prayer with our companeros.  I absolutely love every minute of it.  Mis companeros, Elder Larson and Elder Taylor, are pretty much the coolest guys you'll ever meet.  We are a tri companionship and we hit it off as best friends right away!  The Spirit here is so strong.  Everyone is just so eager to learn and so ready to share the gospel.  Probably my favorite part of my experience here was definitely when we taught the investigator, Edgar Juarez, for the first time.  We prepared as much as we possibly could with our limited knowledge of Spanish, memorizing lines where we could and teaching each other everything we knew.  But for how much effort we put in, we had about five to ten minutes worth of talking.  We didn't worry, but decided we would do what we could and rely on the Spirit and muchos oraciones for the rest.  We went in, and our minds went blank.  We greeted him and talked to him casually fairly well, but when it got down to teaching gospel I knew we'd be in trouble.  But then the most incredible thing happened.  I started understanding everything Hermano Juarez was saying, and we started conversing about the gospel.  I glimpsed mis companeros faces a couple times and they were awe struck, and so was I.  If you ask me what I said now, I couldn't tell you.  When we went back to the class I had to ask the teacher what a couple of the words meant that I had said.  Elder Larson is such a great example of loving everyone and putting others before himself. He always brags about me to other people so he started telling everyone about that experience, so now everyone asks me advice on speaking Spanish but I honestly don't know as much as I said in our lesson.  I truly believe that the Lord helped me talk to that hermano and I am so grateful to have that experience.  I was also made District Leader the other day!  I miss you guys a lot but I know without a doubt that is is where I need to be.  Yo se la iglesia es verdadera y este es donde yo necesito ser.  Me encanto este iglesia y el evangelio.  I can't wait to get to Honduras and start preaching for real!
Con amor,
Elder Cocinero


Curbside at the MTC
Thank you Garry Family for a great send-off