.

.

Friday, May 23, 2014

Elder Cook Week Sixty-Two

I bet you can't guess which one is me 
(Elder Cook has sent us several pictures of himself from the neck down.)

Familia


I've eaten some of this guys friends
This is the kind of lizard they serve us at dinner appointments.
Remember how I’ve always said how much I hate computers?  I really hate computers.  This darn thing drives me nuts sometimes!  I feel like computers spend more time having problems than working.  I think Heavenly Father sent me to the office to learn patience.  

I have survived the financial secretary boot camp. Those were probably the craziest couple of weeks in my whole mission! But I think I’m getting things kinda under control.  On Friday, I was able to get my huge stack of checks and papers that have piled up in the last two weeks down to about half its size! I was pretty happy about that.  I have pretty much no idea what to do with the other half, but that first half didn’t even know what Gringo hit it. Other missionaries always ask me how being the finance guy is going and if I like it. I usually jokingly say that I just throw money up in the air and hope it lands in the right spot. I said it as a joke but worried if it was true. I know now that the Lord has His hand in literally every aspect of His church, not just the spiritual side.  I have personally witnessed it in my work in the office.  God won’t just let some 20 year old kid be in charge of His money and mess stuff up.  No matter what happens, things just always turn out alright, even if I don’t know how. 

I’ve also had some incredibly spiritual experiences these last couple weeks.  It amazes me sometimes how Heavenly Father works and how easy it is to have a testimony that there is a God if we just do His will.  He just wants to help us!  He is always there.  He is always listening.  The absolute hardest thing I’ve learned on my mission is about how our Heavenly Father answers us.

This last week my comp and I had an amazing day. One of the best days of my mission.  We were talking with everyone, we had the two most spiritual lessons I’ve ever been in and people came up to us off the street telling us to come teach them.  The most incredible day.  That night, we walked home on a spiritual high but I felt kinda sad.  I just couldn’t understand why after all this time, a year of busting my butt up hills, and stairs, crying and praying about investigators, pleading to see some kind of answer from my Heavenly Father in my life and that of others, coming home most days drained spiritually and physically with not even a glimmer of hope in all that work, why I didn’t see more success.  For days I’ve thought about it, and that story you sent me dad hit me.  Heavenly Father asked me to push the rock.  I’ve preached and pushed that rock for a long time with no success.  Or that’s what I’ve thought.  I got a little weak and felt sorry for myself.  But the Lord had spoken with me through the spirit, and told me to look back.  All that time struggling, reading the scriptures, working my tail off, praying my heart out, not a single moment was spent in vain.  My muscles have grown under the constant pressure of that rock. My testimony is so much stronger, my faith and knowledge in the gospel has deepened, and my love for the Savior has grown more than I thought possible.  The Lord has called us to be obedient and push, and He will move the rock.  Heavenly Father had been answering my prayers the entire time!  By allowing me to struggle it helped me become better.

Now when my investigators ask me, why didn’t I get an answer?  I’ve prayed about the book, read it, and got nothing.”  That is a pretty common question, and I know why now.  Heavenly Father isn’t the problem, we are.  HE ALWAYS ANSWERS MY PRAYERS.  In His own time, His own way, and in His own place.  We have to be ready, worthy, willing, and putting our own effort to receive it.  Please pray.  Don’t waste another minute not using the special gift God has given us of direct communication with Him.  Trust in Him.  Trust that He loves you and He is always looking to give you the best life and most growth possible in this time here on earth.  He will answer you.  I know that.  And he acts based on your faith in Him.  The faith always precedes the miracle.  Pray when you wake up.  Pray when you go to bed.  Pray when you leave the house.  Pray in every moment you think of prayer.  Talk to Him because He wants to talk to you. 

Sometimes at night I think.  Usually I just crash, and blink, and can’t believe it’s morning, but sometimes I am awake long enough to think.  The overwhelming thought that comes is just how happy I am!  I am just happy all the time.  That’s just something I love about the gospel.  The happiness is brings to people’s lives.  I love this work.  I know God lives, He loves us, He sent His son for us, and this is His church. 

Love

Elder Cook