.

.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Elder Cook Week Sixty-One

A ward member made me a birthday treat

Hey Familia,

I have a testimony that God listens. And I’m pretty sure He likes to play jokes sometimes too.  I was talking to someone and we were saying how hard it would be to be the Financial Secretary, how I always felt so bad for him.  Guess I shouldn’t have blabbed my mouth!  

Great kid, he calls me cookie
We were playing basketball on p-day and I was super happy, because we were playing basketball.  Then the Zone Leaders got a call from President.  Whenever that happens, everyone prays really hard it’s not for them.  Well, it was for me.  I didn’t pray hard enough so I started talking to him and he asked me about the area, and if we have fechas.  Then he asked me if I knew anything about finances.  My heart dropped, and I said, “Not a clue”.  Then president told me “Well then you’ll learn real fast.”  

So I said my goodbyes to people in the area and got picked up at 10am the next morning to head to the office.  I left three baptism dates behind and a bunch of food because I was sure I’d be there another change!  I was pretty sad to leave. 

That first day in the office was insane every secretary is trained for a week with the elder he’s replacing. It seriously felt like I was brand new to the mission!  I was so confused it was like he was speaking a different language!  I had to learn financial talk in Spanish.  We went to the office at 10am and left the office at about 7pm everyday confused, super tired, and with a crazy headache.  Friday Elder J told me all that I learned in those days was only about 20 percent of what he still had to teach me.  

Saturday is p-day in the office we were supposed to pick up president from the airport and take his kid to an activity that morning, and Elder J got sick. He was the only one allowed to drive besides me. So my first day driving in Honduras was with president, his wife, and their kid in the car.  This place is so crazy to drive in!  Traffic laws don’t really exist.  And neither do lanes.  You have to dodge and weave through traffic.  Crosswalks haven’t been invented yet so people just cross the street whenever they want!  Even on freeways.  

We’re trying to really focus in on our area because we only get a few hours to proselyte every day.

Love you,
 
Elder Cook