.

.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Elder Cook Week Thirty-Nine

Whew!  This week I felt like a lump of clay.  I learned that I can´t make myself nor any other lump of clay out there into anything, without the Lord´s hands involved. 

People don´t usually come to the door when we try 
to contact them, but their parrots do!
Last Monday started out fantastic, but within three hours of work it took a pretty steep nose dive.  I think I´ve already told you that G had a fecha (baptism date) and we were so happy for her.  She was telling us all last week how we need to make invitations and how we needed to start teaching her son... then Monday night we heard from her friend, a member in the ward that helps us a ton, that she wanted nothing to do with the church and definitely didn´t want to be baptized.  That pretty much crushed us.  We continued to our other citas (appointments), and at each door we went to we were told not to come back.  That day, we lost 5 investigators and a baptismal date.  The rest of the week was pretty much the same.  We only had one cita (appointment) every day, and the rest of the time was just spent trying to get anyone to answer their door.  

Thursday night, we were pretty down.  We had visited G every day and she wouldn´t talk to us. We had contacted more doors in that day than in the whole last week, in the rain.  We got down to the last thirty minutes before we had to go home without a lesson, and we thought it would be a wasted day. Then my comp said that we needed more faith and that the Lord was testing our willingness and obedience.  We talked a little, decided to rely on the Lord, and knocked one more door.  A college kid answered the door and said he´d like to hear us, but his mom hated Mormons so we had to do it outside.  I have never felt the Spirit testify so strong from both my companion and me. The guy listened super intently, and then smiled.  He said he was really excited to read the Book of Mormon and wanted us to come back in a day or two.  I don´t know if I´ve ever felt closer to my Heavenly Father than in that moment.  Right there in the street, we said a quick prayer of thanks, and headed back to the house.  Then this Saturday, we had a lesson with Q.  He´s the guy from Georgia, and he hasn´t progressed at all in the last month.  Every time we come he just wants to argue.  Yesterday he started off the same way, attacking the church.  We gave a minute of thought after his rant, and then I felt the Spirit tell me that we should express our love for him and that the only reason why we were there was to help him.  Now, he has a baptism date for this Saturday!!!! 

Those are old brake pads 
and a shower rod, but it works!
Heavenly Father is there!  He listens and shows His power according to our faith.  We won´t always understand his ways nor reasons, but everything that happens is for a reason!  It´s so that we can progress and grow and learn and become more like Him.  Never doubt what God can do!  Something interesting that I realized as well is the power of service.  We ended up doing more service this week than in the two months we´ve been together and we were blessed for it.  We helped a guy move a fridge over a house (about as easy as it sounds), moved a ton of sand from one house to another in buckets, moved a dresser about a half mile to the pueblo part of the colonia, and a bunch of other random things like that.  We really felt an increased love for both the people and our Savior.  Sheesh that was super long.   And you can never write me too much, trust me. Love you guys!

Elder Cook