.

.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Elder Cook Week Thirty-Two

Hey familia!

This week I learned that doing dishes is bad.  I’ve always done the dishes after we eat at someone’s house my whole mission, and the members appreciate it.  Or so I thought!  I guess this area is a little different than my last.  Apparently, the custom in Honduras is that when someone invites you over to dinner and you do their dishes, that means you didn´t like the food and you don´t want to come back. I didn´t know that until after I did a members dishes the other night and they were offended!  I was super confused and thought they were joking.  I’ve been doing dishes at every house we eat at!  The poor missionaries that follow me probably won’t get to be invited into homes to eat now!  I still can´t quite wrap my brain around why that is offensive, but I made a pact with the lady who fed us that I wouldn´t do dishes in Honduras again.  

The hermanas in my district have two baptisms next week so I have to do their interviews.  I’ve been practicing with my companion and praying a lot and I know the Lord will help me, but I’m still pretty nervous.  Baptism is a big ordinance and covenant to take on and I have to judge whether a person is ready for it.  That´s the reason why I was worried about being a District Leader.  But my weak things are made strong in the Lord so all I can do is put my faith in Him and hope I understand their Spanish!

There are a ton of best things about the mission, like seeing people´s lives change and watching the Spirit work in people, but one of them is the revelation that a missionary can receive.  I don´t want to sound selfish, because I am also serving to help others and Heavenly Father, but a talk from Elder Holland said that if there is only one person that you convert on your mission it had better be you, and that is what´s happening.  I have grown so much in my conversion, my testimony of my Savior and my knowledge of the gospel.  I receive revelation daily for both myself and my investigators. That´s one of the most important doctrines that we have in this church that people really tend to overlook or under appreciate.  I learn so much from my personal studies and even more in lessons. The strongest and most sudden revelations I receive are when I´m teaching someone else.  In many lessons people have asked exact questions that I had been searching to know the answer as well for a long time, and by the time they finish their question I know the answer or when I start talking it comes to me.  It´s moments like those that there is no doubt in my mind that the Spirit helping and working through me, because I am not smart enough to figure it out on my own.  Sorry out of time and I brought my USB this time but I can’t figure out how to get the pics on here

Love you guys!
Elder Cook

*The scripture Blake referred to is found in Ether 12:27

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."