.

.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Elder Cook Week Eighty-Four


Hey Familia!

I`m out of the office!!!!!  I got sent about 2 hours outside of Tegucigalpa to an area called Piedras Bonitas in Comayagua as zone leader with Elder Jose!  (Not to be confused with ¨Piernas Bonitas¨ which I´ve said a few too many times by accident.  People sure get a kick out of the dumb Gringo talking about beautiful legs instead of where we are).  Elder Jose is from Nicaragua and is awesome!  He`s a great friend and an amazing leader.  He knows a TON of English so I`ve been helping him polish it up with some jargon from the states, like home slice and crackalackin.  We have the best zone in the mission!  All the missionaries are super obedient and really hard workers so we are going to have a lot of success out here!  We are about to meet our zone goal of 18 baptisms and 4 families at the end of this month!  Elder Jose and I just put 4 fechas last night as well with some people we met!  This will easily be my favorite area of the mission.  It`s not quite pueblo.  My shoes are completely covered in mud by the end of every day.  It`s beautiful here with a ton of green and open space, I love it!  We pretty much get into every house we contact!  And the members of the branch are incredible.  We`ve gotten 8 references just this week!  We found the most amazing family ever last night too!  They`re a younger couple that have a great desire to follow Christ.  They want to get married, accepted the invitation to be baptized, and are pumped to go to church this Sunday!  Everything is going great out here.  Loving every second of it.

I also have more time to study now in the morning, it`s so great!  I`ve learned something really important. I have started the Book of Mormon over again and I was reading in first Nephi where Lehi was relating his dream.  He said that between the people in the great and spacious building and the saints of God by the tree of life, there was a great abismo that separates them. That verse really hit me hard.  When it comes to our Heavenly Father, He sees things in black and white.  Either something is good, or something is bad.  Either someone is following Christ, or they aren`t.  Someone is breaking the commandments, or they are being obedient.  A lot of people think it`s ok to drink just a little bit of alcohol, or just miss church a couple times, or just do just a little bit of bad, and they can still be counted as worthy to enter into the kingdom of God.  But that is false doctrine.  In that scripture, it`s clear that there are two paths in life: that of God and that of Satan, and there is absolutely nothing in between.  It doesnt just say abismo, it says gran abismo.  There is a huge difference between a follower of Christ and follower of the world.  That made me think.  In which side am I? 

Love you guys a ton!

Elder Cook