.

.

Friday, September 19, 2014

Elder Cook Week Seventy-Nine

 

Doctrine and Covenants 87:8  
“Wherefore, stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come.”
 
What’s new over there in Mesaland? A little while back we were contacting. We got to a door and we were standing there a while, and someone finally called out to say they were coming. At that moment, I felt something crawling up my neck and slapped at it, and it was just an ant. But let me tell you about the ants here. Remember how in Gremlins when you give those little cute guys food after 12 at night they turn into the green nasty guys that want to kill people? Someone did that to the ants here. They are the most vicious little things you´ve ever seen! If one gets on you they don´t wait a second to bite! And in the states the scarier ones are red, but here it´s the little black ones you have to avoid. At that moment outside that hermana´s house, I was standing in a whole pile of them! After I slapped the first on my neck, they all bit at the same time from all parts of my body! They were all up my legs, on my chest and neck, on my back and especially in my shoes! So I flipped out and started slapping and shaking my clothes and acting like a crazy guy in the street. And that´s when the lady came to the door. Luckily my companion, like the good missionary he is, went on normally with the contact asking if we could teach them about Jesus while some big dumb Gringo was going insane next to them. I didn´t even really get to talk to the lady because there were so many ants to get off, but when I got most off I told her hi and my name. They didn´t say anything, until after my companion asked, "Hey are you ok?  That was kind of weird." They really just thought I was nuts! Some ladies that had a pollo shop across the street were laughing really hard at me. Now every time we walk past that street they yell "Esas hormigas pican, va?" and start busting up again. I think that´s "Those ants bite huh?" but that doesn’t sound right in English. Anyways, I´ve learned my lesson to be careful where I stand when we contact.